Interim respite and day care guests experience all the services and amenities available to permanent residents and help with funding is available in many cases. After experiencing the respite and day care on offer, many of our guests decide our Homes are just right for them and move in full-time.
Respite care (sometimes called replacement care) is short-term care used as a temporary alternative to a person's usual care arrangements. It is natural to prefer to stay in familiar surroundings, especially for someone elderly. However, there are times when respite care is a very good option:
- after a stay in hospital,
- while convalescing from a fall or illness
- to have a break or to give carers a break
- to assess what it would be like to live in one of our Homes permanently
A break from routine is good for everyone and it is particularly important for both an elderly person and their carer – some time apart will enable both to 'recharge' their batteries and feel refreshed.
The benefits of respite care:
- A welcome change of scene for the elderly person, particularly if in own home most of the time.
- Social interaction advantages, especially for those living alone
- A chance to enjoy different activities and excursions
- A good opportunity to become familiar with the alternative care which might be needed in future (for example, if a situation deteriorates or an emergency occurs).
- A well-earned break for carers from the day-to-day responsibilities of caring.
Proving to be very popular, a regular day out spent as one of our Day Guests is a special treat for many who still live in their own homes. Who doesn’t enjoy a little pampering? Dedicated and well-trained care assistants provide support with bathing, personal hygiene, dressing, diet plans and medication management. Hairdressing and manicure appointments can be arranged as can a visit by the chiropodist if requested. Nutritious meals are included as well as cakes and endless cups of tea.
Day Care also provides a rewarding time for guests offering opportunities to make new friends and take part in regular activities. Guests will also be invited on excursions and outings.